It’s tough getting off the phone from the most positive person you know when they tell you they’re feeling depressed. Do you feel the same? If so here are some non-pharmaceutical ideas/options.
- You are NOT depressed: life is just shit, and so you feel shit; unmotivated, confused, anxious, worried about how you’re going to get through this. Depression is something, like losing a baby or being told you’re dying of cancer. So don’t use that term to describe how you feel, but give that feeling something that means something real.
- Being on social media (Instagram is OK,ish), watching the news, listening to the radio, is like attaching a very small hose from your car’s exhaust to your mouth. It will fucking kill you slowly. Get off it, and if you can’t get off it, find some way of getting it away from you for a few hours, days or weeks (use a blocking app, give it to a friend to hold, smash it with a hammer).
- Stop watching so much TV, it really does rot your brain, really does make you a fat, mushy brained, pathetic, passive, rabbit minded loser.
- Listen to more music. Read more books. Ring more people up and talk shit to each other (maybe they feel worse than you). 5. Stay off the carbs and the sugar.
- Realise that you are the focus of the greatest ever public service/propaganda campaign in the history of this planet, run by idiots who would be best sticking to selling washing up powder.
- Get a dog and go for a walk. Think about someone else apart from your sad assed self. If you don’t have a dog, go steal one (it’ll make you feel alive, especially when you get caught).
- Break some rules (be a sinner).
- If you can’t express how you feel, and think everyone you know is a pod person, then start writing sci-fi.
- Finally, the best advice you could ever have been given, the best advice we were all given (but ignored), and for years; on mugs, posters and t-shirts, is ‘Keep Calm and Carry On!’, and remember at its worse, we’ve never had it so good.